Thursday, August 09, 2007

Welcome to Cairo

The city of Cairo is a rugged place. I wish I could call the city beautiful, but despite it's rich history and numerous historical buildings, churches, pyramids, etc, this place isn't all that easy on the eye. The good news: Our cousin Angela is letting Ashley (my sister met me in Cairo) and I stay at her place in a quieter, nicer, less congested part of the town. For the first couple days I was here, this is what I was doing. I shouldn't have been surprised by the traffic. I've been to several countries whose roads are basically lawless but even then the traffic here and it's incessant honking is perhaps the most intense I've ever seen. Again, the good news is that Angela set us up with her driver/friend Mohamed Ali who took us around town and alleviated us from having to worry about the traffic or the annoying taxi drivers looking to take us for a ride.The city has one color: brown. Brown, brown and more brown.
One big surprise: the pyramids of Giza are practically right in the middle of the town. Or at least there is semi-modern town built all around them. Somehow I thought they were isolated out in the desert somewhere. Guess I was wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello dustin ! How are you ? Do you like egypt ? how is there ?
We are very very jealous you .Did you see mommy ? we are interest in egypt and it is a country in our dream.I hope you like egypt.Good luck.

ing and friends

Anne Brown said...

Why is your cousin living in Cairo/Egypt?